Friday, August 21, 2015

THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU (1996) - posters & images













Tonight I watched this film for the third or fourth time since catching it in its original release and I'm going to have to come out and state that I like it. The recent documentary about the making of this very troubled production rekindled my interest and the new Blu-Ray proved the perfect viewing experience. I'm never going to claim it's a perfect film, but it is far from the terrible movie that it has been painted as for nearly twenty years. In fact, I think it holds together very well until Brando's exit and then it flies a bit out of control. Part of this chaotic feel is obviously intentional as it mirrors the breakdown of order on the island but there always seems to be pieces missing that would have made things work smoother. And while the CGI beasties are awful beyond words the Stan Winston creature effects are stupendous and the actors inside the suits do a magnificent job. I was disheartened to hear so many of the cast & crew referring to it as one of the worst movies of all time! No, no! As far as I'm concerned this is much better than other 1996 releases including Independance Day, The Rock or Twister. 


No comments: