Friday, July 15, 2022

What I Watched in June 2022

I didn’t get out to a theater last month which was not my plan, really. I wanted to go see the Bob’s Burgers movie but the timing was off and then I was out of town for five days to attend Monster Bash so some things fell by the wayside. So, I thought I’d let you folks know about the odd home viewing that has become the norm at Casa Bloody Pit of Rod.
  
Sprinkled in among the various movies is a steady stream of television both old and new. The older stuff is currently mostly from the 1960’s with me using various DVD sets to catch up on and revisit classic series of interest. There is no real plan for this viewing. I also add an old serial to the mix to have something shorter and (often) stranger to keep the evenings slightly off balance. The most recent of those was the 15-chapter Batman & Robin serial from 1949 which proved to be mad fun. Strange to know that it was the first Batman chapter play in 1943 that introduced the concept of the Bat Cave to the hero’s universe. Any way…

The various 60’s shows we’re going through include (in no particular order) -
  
1. The Wild Wild West
2. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
3. Star Trek
4. Get Smart 
5. Doctor Who
6. Fireball XL5
7. Thunderbirds
8. Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles

I need to pull out the 1966 Batman show and start a full watch of The Twilight Zone too. I’m hoping to add in some 1970’s stuff soon as well to change up the feeling a bit but The Time Tunnel will also be making an appearance soon as well. I wonder if I can make my way through the Logan’s Run TV series again soon. We’ll see. 

The List

GHOST TOWN RENEGADES (1947) – 5 (Lash LaRue B-western)

REVOLVER (1973) – 8 (rewatch)

AGONIZANDO EN EL CRIMEN (1968) – 4 (early Naschy role)

THE PANTHER WOMEN (1967) – 6 (fun, silly Mexican masked wrestler film)

CHALLENGE THE DEVIL (1963) – 3 (dull, silly mess with Christopher Lee)

MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1971) – 6 (rewatch)

LOVE SLAVES OF THE AMAZONS (1957) – 4 (sub-par jungle adventure)

GUNS. GIRLS AND GANGSTERS (1959) – 7 (sharp heist tale with a young Lee Van Cleef)

THE NIGHT OF THE EXECUTIONER (1992) – 6 (rewatch)

SANTO IN THE BORDER OF TERROR (1969) - 4



1 comment:

Hunter said...

I, too, am watching The Wild, Wild West and thoroughly enjoying it. I've seen many episodes over the years, but I've never watched them all.

I'm also watching Frankenstein Jr (but not The Impossibles). I have very fond memories of watching Jr very early Saturday mornings.

My other '60s show right now is Dark Shadows. My wife and I started from the beginning. We're about to start episode 199, and it's been great fun! We have seen the first 30 episodes that began with Barnabas's appearance, but had never seen the first ~220 episodes. Now we have, and people who skip them are really missing out on a lot!