Tuesday, March 08, 2022

The Shadow Novels vs Radio Shows


Over the past month I've read a couple of Classic Shadow pulp novels and I’ve been listening almost every night to old Shadow radio shows. This has, of course, caused me to compare and contrast and I have to say they are incredibly different animals. The radio show centers on Lamont Cranston and Margo Lane, his Girl Friday, but the pulps that I've read almost always have the shadow as a peripheral character. In the novels he is constantly stalking bad guys, listening and taking advantage of the weaknesses of various criminals and their gangs. On the page he is ably assisted by his huge network of helpers or undercover operatives. They occasionally make appearances in a way that push the story along or explain to the reader how certain pieces of information are being related back to the Shadow. I have to admit the two different versions of the Shadow that the radio play and the pulps provide are both very entertaining but I prefer the anthology nature of the pulp stories. I find that having the main focus on the bad guy characters who are being hunted down by the relentless Shadow with his blazing .45's to be much more entertaining. The Shadow radio show has a tendency to fall pretty squarely into the standard mystery or adventure radio shows of the 1930s with lots of bantering back and forth between Lamont and Margo. Of course, I guess it would be natural that you would need a couple of reoccurring characters who talked back and forth on a regular basis presenting different pieces of information and pushing things in the direction that a radio play would go. As I said, I've enjoyed them both and I will continue to do so but the pulp novels are grittier and more to my taste overall.


 

No comments: