Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Brief Thoughts - DEAD SOULS (2012)

I started off my 2023 viewing by cleaning up my ‘bought for a $1’ pile. These are Blu-Rays and DVDs that I couldn’t resist picking up because they were so damned cheap. Most of the time I get burned and end up sitting through crappy movies that are not worth the time investment so I’m not sure why I continue to do this to myself. One was a low budget horror film based on a Michael Laimo novel called DEAD SOULS (2012). Although the story begins in an interesting place with a good premise and some standard complications, the illogic of the setup  begins to weigh things down by the end of the first act. Questions start to creep in that the script leaves unanswered such as why would a house and barn abandoned for 17 years still have power and water? Why would all the furniture and possessions of the long dead owners still be where they were the night of their deaths? And why is there no dust over anything? Why would a kid the age of 18 be carrying a massive grudge about events he had no knowledge of or involvement with? If there had been a supernatural reason offered up at some point maybe I wouldn’t have been irritated but that is not what we get. I suspect that the book was a much more satisfying horror experience and one day I may find out.


No comments: