Saturday, January 11, 2020

Anthony Mann's Westerns


Last night I was channel surfing for a few minutes and saw that one of the movie choices was Anthony Mann's MAN OF THE WEST (1958). A watched it for a little while and was reminded of its high quality and was taken with the urge to find a partner to watch all of his westerns for future podcasting. I think I'll have to do that sometime later this year just to scratch my itch to learn and talk more about Mr. Mann's excellent film output.


A list of his westerns shows how impressive his body of work is in the genre. 

WINCHESTER 73 (1950) 
BEND IN THE RIVER (1952)
THE NAKED SPUR (1953) 
THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (1955) 
THE FAR COUNTRY (1954) 
THE TIN STAR (1957) 

And there are more that I haven't even seen yet. Add to this his brilliant Noirs and his fantastic historical epics made in the 60's and Mann may just be one of the greatest Hollywood directors of all time. Maybe a new series for The Bloody Pit focused on his career is needed? I certainly need to make more people aware of his excellent film THE TALL TARGET (1951). 

If you haven't seen MAN OF THE WEST do yourself a favor and spend the 99 minutes. You won't regret it. And don't watch the trailer first- it ruins some of the story's surprises that are best left discovered as the film plays. 



1 comment:

Dennis Brian said...

I love WINCHESTER 73 (1950)
I also love some of his crime films.