Friday, March 20, 2015

All New Invaders is Cancelled


When I was a young lad first reading comic books The Invaders was one of my favorite series. I loved the WWII setting, the characters and the cool vision of the Marvel Universe at the dawning of the first super heroes. The original run lasted 41 issues (along with several Annuals and Giant Sized specials) but there have been a few attempts to revive the group in the decades since. Sadly, all those new series have failed and I'm unhappy to note that the latest - and best - of these attempts has just folded after only 15 issues.


A year and a half ago writer James Robinson revamped the team in a modern day form that was brilliant in how it brought the original cast back together and made the problem of the 70 years of time between their formation and the present day immaterial. The end of this brief run bothers me because it was really very good and I begin to doubt if being well written and beautifully drawn is enough in the current comic world. Robinson had a great handle on the characters and the stories he was telling were fantastic - by the time he had brought in the original Deathlok I was in heaven! Maybe the book only appealed to older readers interested in mostly obscure heroes?


Oh well. It was good while it lasted, which is probably the best way to look at any comic book series. 

No comments: