Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Doomsday +1 returns as Doomsday.1


I am a big fan of post-apocalyptic stories of all types and I'm always on the lookout for them in any form. Years ago, while rummaging through the bargain boxes in a local comic shop I spotted an issue of the mid-1970s Charlton book called Doomsday +1 and picked it up. The cover featured one of my all time favorite post-apocalyptic images - a destroyed Statue of Liberty- so even if the comic sucked I knew I wanted the cover in my collection anyway! I was surprised and happy to note that the artwork was by then unknown but soon-to-be superstar John Byrne. The issue was very good and certainly up my alley so I sought out a few more issues as I could over the next couple of months and then, as things do, it dropped off my radar.


Well, now I have learned that Byrne has resurrected this short lived series and is revamping it for the 21st century. The newly entitled Doomsday.1 has begun publication from IDW and I couldn't be happier to have this tale return. I've read the first two new issues and so far I'm loving this more realistic take on the post catastrophe story. I am fascinated by the idea of revisiting a story first told as a younger artist to see if age has brought wisdom to the creator or if the spark that made the thing shine can't be reignited. With that in mind, Byrne has made some changes to the original scenario that are pretty interesting. Here's what he had to say-

"I’ve been thinking for some time that I would like to revisit a post-apocalypse kind of scenario, such as was seen in my very first ‘dramatic’ work in comics, but this time without the more obvious fantasy elements of that original series (mermaids, alien robots, frozen mammoths, etc.). When bits and pieces of this new series first started to percolate around in my head, I knew almost at once the shape that ‘revisit’ would take; something in the ‘All-New, All-Different’ vein. And the first time I doodled some images of my ‘crew,’ I knew I was there!"

So, I'm looking forward to the third issue due out soon. If you find these kinds of tales in the least interesting (and you read comics!) I think you might enjoy it. Let's see if it last more than the seven issues the first try managed!


No comments: