Saturday, October 01, 2016

The Living Mummy's First Appearance


Last night, just before bed, I cracked open my copy of Essential Marvel Horror Vol. 2 and read Supernatural Thrillers issue #5 from 1973. This features the first appearance of The Living Mummy, one of my favorite underused characters. This tale didn't ring strong bells for me so I can't remember if I had ever read this issue before. My earlier reading of these issues have been spotty as I have only been able to find a few of the character's later adventures in the cheap bins I haunt but this story was excellent and shows the great strengths of Marvel's horror output in the 1970's. Scripted by the great Steve Gerber with art by Rich Buckler the comic moves very well from present day to Ancient Egyptian flashbacks and back again while ramping up the excitement the whole way through. I'm looking forward to being able to read the entire run of these tales! 


No comments: