Thursday, April 12, 2012

What I Read in March



ORIGIN by J. A. Konrath (great modern pulp SF/horror)
The Turtle Boy by Kealan Patrick Burke
FIRESTORM The Nuclear Man by Gerry Conway, Al Milgrim, George Perez
BAR-20 DAYS by Clarence Edward Mulford



As I mentioned in my post about what I watched last month I was incredibly busy with work in March so I had very little reading time. That's not to say I wasn't reading at all but it takes a long time to finish a novel when you can only devote about twenty minutes a day to looking at it!

The Turtle Boy by Kealan Patrick Burke was a good short story I stumbled across in the Kindle bookshop. It’s a fine little Ray Bradbury-esque tale of a childhood tragedy with supernatural overtones that I found to be a worthy read for fans of that particular style of fiction. It is the first in a series of stories about the young boy protagonist Timmy Quinn and I hope to read more of Burke’s work in the future to follow his small town adventures.

The Firestorm comic trade paperback was a great purchase that allowed me to finally read the aborted sixth issue of the original Firestorm series from 1978. Even in simple black & white pencils it was very satisfying to see what the next, never before published tale was to be. This collection also has the run of eight page back-up stories later printed in the Flash's comic book too so all I need now is for DC to reprint the run of entire Fury of Firestorm seres. I only got to read a very few issues of that later series and I'm curious to see what happened to the character as time went on. I understand that at some point John Ostrander turned him into an elemental!


No comments: