Monday, January 25, 2021

The Devil Wives of Li Fong by E. Hoffman Price


I picked up this book some time ago because it had been recommended to me for some reason. I can’t remember how I was made aware of it but the concept and the cover intrigued me so I added it to my ‘hunt’ list. When I finally found a copy online for a good price I ordered it, put it on my ‘to read’ pile and last week I finally was able to read it.

Author E. Hoffman Price's The Devil Wives of Li Fong (published in 1979) is a very entertaining fantasy set in medieval China. It follows a young herbal apprentice who falls into the company of a couple of snake-spirit women who, by chance, have transformed into humans. They seduce him, marry him and set up an apothecary where they dispense medicine aided by the snake women’s magical abilities. Soon, several trouble makers try to destroy the trio, ignoring that they are doing good in an attempt to stay human and better their future in the afterlife. Price tells his story in a way that I associate with Chinese cinema, making it feel like a lost Hong Kong film from decades past. The schemes of the antagonists read like the villains of those classic Shaw Brothers movies but Price is a good enough writer to make me care about the wives and poor Li Fong.

But the real reason I feel compelled to blog about this book is the physical condition of my copy. I purchased a cheap first edition paperback and it has clearly been much loved but not well cared for. The page edges seem to have been exposed to direct sunlight for a long time and are brittle to the touch. They often flake and break making it necessary to be careful while handling the book. Also, the covers were creased at the spine making repair to the front necessary before I could even start reading. And yesterday while I was finishing the story the back cover popped completely off. I have acid-free tape on hand so I’ll reattach the back but this event made a feeling I’ve had for days much stronger.

I tend to pass on books such as this to friends or trade them in for credit at a local used book store but the state of The Devil Wives of Li Fong has me wondering if I will be the last person in the world to read this copy. This makes me a little sad. I’ve always enjoyed the idea of books moving on to other hands so that these stories can be experienced by someone after me. But this copy of this book may not be in good enough shape to find another reader. I know this shouldn’t strike me as such a terrible event. After all, it is available right now as a used book in several places on the web and in ebook format on Amazon for anyone to buy cheaply. But this is one of the first books I know might never be enjoyed by anyone else again and it is an odd feeling. I really do hope I can repair this thing well enough to pass it to someone new. 


No comments: