Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Brief Thoughts - POSSESSOR (2020)

I caught writer/director Brandon Cronenberg’s science fiction thriller POSSESSOR (2020) last night and, I have to say, I was impressed. It feels very much like his father’s early work which is a high compliment. The cool, detached storytelling is engrossing, giving detail without spoon-feeding us information and using our natural curiosity about violent actions to draw us in. I won’t reveal anything about the plot but I was happy to have my perceptions twisted so effectively by an ending that was shocking and revelatory at the same time. I should not have been so easily played but Mr. Cronenberg knows how to craft a compelling tale and the smoothness of his style made it easy to become fascinated by the evil onscreen until the final double sting. I felt suckered and dirty - but in a good way! 



No comments: