Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Bloody Pit #31 - DIARY OF A MADMAN (1963) and other Horla adaptations


For a Halloween treat I present an episode that focuses on Guy de Maupassant's classic short story The Horla and its various adaptations. The most prominent of these is the Vincent Price movie DIARY OF A MADMAN but the story is much twisted out of shape by the film's script The film adds a tragic family history, romantic entanglements, a conniving femme fatal, a cuckolded husband and murderous dark deeds done with knives to a tale that was much more of a treatise on fear and the horrors of the mind. Still, the film is worth seeing and Price is a joy but, while I discuss the story and its cinema incarnation, I also include in the show two of the three known radio adaptations of it as well. I think you'll get a kick out them - listen with the lights out!


If you have any comments you can reach me or the various co-hosts of past episodes at thebloodypit@gmail.com and I'll be glad to include your feedback in a future show. Thank you for downloading and listening! Happy Halloween! 







No comments: