Saturday, January 22, 2022

Video - The World Beyond (1978) - TV Series Pilot


I don't know how but I completely missed this when it aired on January 27, 1978. I would have been nine and fully into my obsession with Kolchak: The Night Stalker, so this would have attracted me like a fly to honey. I have no memory of it and, now that I've watched it, this terrifying tale certainly would have haunted my dreams for a long time! This is the second of two pilots made for a series that never got picked up. The first was called The World of Darkness and aired in 1977 but I can't find it on YouTube - yet! I would love to know why this excellent show didn't go to series for at least one season. I guess by the end of the 1970's there was less of an interest in supernatural/occult investigator TV shows. That's a shame because if they had been able to maintain this level of quality it would have been incredible. 

Check this out. It's a fantastic piece of hidden 70's TV history and a fine way to get some creepy thrills for fifty minutes. I wonder if we'll ever see a cleaned up, remastered version of this because it deserves to be seen by more people. 

1 comment:

Jason said...

I only recently caught up with this one after finally learning the title. I had vague memories of seeing a show about a mud monster that was dissolved by salt water and always wondered what the heck it was. I would have been 8 when this aired and probably not allowed to watch it, so I must have caught a glimpse of it sneaking out of bed.