Saturday, January 26, 2019

Star Trek Discovery


When it was announced some time ago that there was going to be a new Star Trek series I was excited - up until I learned that it was to the be the flagship show for a new streaming service that I was never going to pay for. I have a couple of streaming sources already and I'm simply not willing to pay for another one just to see a single show. But for Christmas I was gifted with the Blu-Ray set of the first season so I finally settled in to see what Star Trek: Discovery was all about.

Wow! This is the best Trek series since the original. Seriously.

I should state for context that I am a huge fan of Star Trek but have found the various sequel series to be of little lasting interest. Both The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine took two or three seasons to stop stumbling around in dullness and each series had a near crippling flaw (or two) that makes revisits painful. Honestly, anyone that can defend the Holodeck episodes or the never ending Ferengi idiocy can hold forth anytime. I won't be listening. I never made it beyond the first couple of episodes of Voyager or Enterprise for different reasons. Voyager was following the TNG template of boring me to death for twenty minutes of each episode and Enterprise couldn't stop showing how shiny and sexy everything was. Good-Bye.


I won't be spoiling any surprises here, as I hope others can see this series as cold as I did. Discovery avoids one of the past series' bigger problems by only producing fifteen episodes in the season. This means that every show adds to the overall story without having to slow down for side stories. The one episode that could conceivably be argued as unnecessary to the whole still adds amazing detail to various characters and provides enormous laughs. At that point in the season this tonal break was a welcome relief before the final run of incredibly tense developments. I was so impressed with this season of Trek that I kind of want to rewatch it immediately with foreknowledge of the endpoint. The various breadcrumbs laid out were masterful and I suspect I missed a few hints along the way.


After finishing off the season in about five days (!) I decided to learn what the general consensus on the show was. Turning to the internet I found that I am apparently in the minority of at least the loudest voices. I learned that the show's main character had no personality, that the writing is terrible, that the actors don't know what they're doing and that the entire production is a disaster and a stain on the good name of Trek. OK.

While I know this new show does some cosmetically controversial things - Klingon redesign, new technology, advanced use of the transporter, etc. - as a major fan of the original show I had no trouble rolling with these modernizations of elements of the franchise. At the very least, this is the second time the Klingons have been altered so it's no big deal. If I was able to accept the first radical redesign back in 1979 then the new experimental engines on Discovery are also no big deal. I feel these changes keep things fresh by not being bound to the past's limited look. Never before have I been so impressed with a new show and then learned that it was so reviled. I guess Trek fans and I may have parted ways permanently. 

I suppose that for a generation that holds the blandness of TNG up as their most beloved Trek series, something as spicy as Discovery must be unpalatable. That's a shame. In the 1990's DS9 found itself competing with a better written and smarter show in Babylon 5 and shifted it's style of storytelling to move forward. Now the better plotted, smarter show is an actual Star Trek prequel and fans can't handle the future because they are mired in nostalgia. Seems that is the repetitive nature of SF fandom - Love followed by deification followed by ossification followed by unyielding dogma. I've seen it over and over so I shouldn't be surprised but I am disappointed. I just hope this show survives the sad fandom backlash. I truly fear the next thing that would be created to conform to the complaints leveled against this fine effort.




1 comment:

Randall Landers said...

For the same reasons as you, I did not partake in DISCOVERY until my mother-in-law bought me the DVD set for Christmas. I even held off watching it until three weeks ago, when I sat down and watched the first DVD.

I was really disappointed in the first three episodes. It was clear to me that the show's promise was being let down by writers who weren't all on the same page. And then I watched the fourth episode, and my interest was piqued.

A few days later, I watched the next four episodes, then the next, then so on. Like you, I think this may turn into the best Trek since the original. Yes, it's got some issues: I detested the Harry Mudd time warp episode. I thought the Mirror Universe storyline went one episode too far. I think the production has violated a good bit of canon, but so did Enterprise (which I generally detested, but had some beautiful, shining moments).

So what do I like about Discovery? Certainly not the uniforms, the ship, the tech. No, I like...okay, love most of the characters. From Michael to Saru, I've loved almost all of them. These actors are outshining the writing, and that was certainly true of all the best of all these years of Star Trek. I care for most of these people, and like them or not, they're mostly believable.

And you know what? I want to watch more. No, sorry CBS, not enough to subscribe to your All Access (although I will probably join this fall when Picard returns). But I already know what I'll be asking for next Christmas.

I hope Discovery will become the Star Trek we can all love.