Tuesday, September 04, 2018

THE WOMAN EATER (1958) - Killer Tree Movie!


I don't remember exactly when I bought the DVD of British horror film THE WOMAN EATER (1958) but surely it was almost 20 years ago. That means that, for some reason or another, I have seen this movie at least three times. Indeed, I think I'm fated to watch this movie once every 10 years. I guess that's the length of time it takes me to forget the details of the story enough to be curious about this particular and peculiar movie. It's a part of what I consider to be one of my strangest obsessive genre compulsions - Killer Plant Films! And I have the terrible desire to watch any and all killer tree movies, especially. I can only think of two or three others that fit this rather tiny sub-genre (FROM HELL IT CAME, THE GUARDIAN), but this one easily has the most interesting deadly tree.


This film's tree sports several hairy tentacles with chomping mouths on the end of them!  It doesn't get much more interesting in the killer tree category than that! Of course, I can see someone arguing that the creature in this film isn't actually a tree, but I think it really kind of has to be called one. In the dialog it's referred to repeatedly as a specific native tribe's totem and is really referred to only as a plant. But come on - this thing is an evil tree monster. Right?


The film is only an OK chiller with not much going on. I enjoy it for what small thrills it provides and the sight of the supremely lovely Vera Day. Of course, for me this movie could be a lot worse as long as it has that crazy killer tree! One of a kind!






2 comments:

Blog Comment Backlinks said...

I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! 12 monkeys season 4

Blog Comment Backlinks said...

Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post! buy dvd narcos season 3