Sunday, July 23, 2017

THE VALLEY OF GWANGI (1969) Poster Art (and Comic Book Cover)








I rewatched this Harreyhausen classic last night and it really hit the spot. I've loved this movie for years but it had been over ten years since my last viewing so it was nice to have the movie surprise me a few times. I had forgotten how appealing James Franciscus is in the lead role even though his character is less than the hero at times. I had also forgotten just how beautiful Gila Golan was and that she had been obviously dubbed. I'm guessing her European accent wasn't quite what the filmmakers were looking for in the role of a Mexican national. And I had forgotten that Richard Carlson plays a large part in the story meaning that he is in three of my favorite science fiction monster movies of all time! (The other two being THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954) and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953) of course.) This is a perfect film for summer viewing as it takes place mostly in the bright blazing sunlight. You can almost feel the sweat!






1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I was growing up, my dad and I would pick out two movies, from the local video store, for a Saturday night double feature. We bought this one with The Quatermass Experiment. I haven't seen Gwangi in probably ten years or so... I should pick up the blu ray to remedy that.